Tuesday, April 6, 2010

M is for March Break

You are wriggling in your seat, waiting, waiting for the moment to be free from school. You stare at the clock. Tick...tock....tick....tock. Soon you hear the bell ringing in your ears. You sprint and out of the room, yelling that you're free for the perhaps one of the most memorable vacations of your life.


This is how probably everyone feels when you are on the last day of school 'till March Break. My classmates and I are especially lucky because we actually get 2 weeks of school off instead of only 1. You feel so relieved after the bell rings because while you're waiting, it feels like you are going to explode if you don't get out the room in a few seconds. Trust me, I feel like this at the beginning of every vacation and I'm sure that you do too.


Most people usually go traveling for the vacation and have the most wonderful time. Or I guess some people stay at home the whole 2 weeks and have a great time too. I know I'm one of the lucky ones because I always go on vacation during the March Break. Usually I go to warm places like St. Lucia or the Bahamas, except for the one time I went to Whistler to go skiing. So by the time I come back from vacation, I either have a tan or I'm redder than usually from the sun.


This March Break, I went to Florida, but I also went to my farm in Kimberly to go skiing before all the snow melted. I went skiing at Beaver Valley, the place where some of the people go skiing or snowboarding in my class. I remember going down the hills there, knowing I must get the most fun out of it because I won't be coming back until next December. I also remember the feeling of a strange sadness knowing I won't be doing one of the sports I love for about 9 more months. I always have fun skiing.


I went to Florida the second week of March Break from the Monday to the Friday. My Mom, brother and I went to my Grammie and Crappie's place in Long Boat Key. My Dad sadly didn't come for he had to go to work the whole week we were away. My family and I didn't do anything too exciting but I did have a nice time with my grandparents. I had lots of high lights on this trip but I did however have some low lights too.


My first and most important highlight was my 13th birthday on the 24th. I was so happy that I was finally 13 because I was waiting for a while turn 13. In my class, turning 13 is a awesome step in your life. It usually means you're more grown-up or more mature and cooler than you were at 12. For my birthday, we celebrated by going to a cool fish restaurant called The Beach House. We were lucky we came a bit early because as soon as we got our table, it seemed that swarms of people came in, making a huge line-up at the front. I had a rather "fishy" meal consisting of Fish and Chips and a side dish of squid called Calamari. It was very tasty considering the crew here fish their own fish so it makes the dish taste even better. As soon as we got home, we had a small chocolate cake for dessert and opened my presents. I got a book I've been waiting so long for and a new sketchbook from my grandparents. I had a stupendous birthday and that's all I can say.

My other most important highlight would be going mini golfing with my Mom and brother on our last full day of staying in Florida. Since there wasn't much to do, we went to a place called Smuggler's Cove. From its name, the golf course had a pirate theme with caves, a river, and a pirate ship where you go inside to go to the next hole. It was very neat. That's not all either. There is even a place where you can feed live gators! No they weren't very big , just the smaller species of gator instead. What we did to feed them was take a small piece of meat, attach it to a fishing hook and then just wait until a gator comes along to eat the meat off the hook. Sometimes however the gator just won't let go of the hook no matter how hard you pull. At times we would bring up the fishing pole a bit and soon the gator would just be hanging there, gripping onto the hook and stubbornly not letting go. Guess what else happened? I got a hole in one!!! I was overjoyed when I got the golf ball in the hole because I have never gotten a hole in one ever!!! This golf course was probably one of the best I had ever been to.

When I talk about some of the few low lights I had, I guess they weren't too bad. I probably had much worst experiences than I had on the trip. One of the low lights was probably when I lost my golf ball at the mini golf. It was because I was so annoyed at my brother for he kept being the obnoxious boy he always is so I let out my annoyance on the ball and soon it flew through the air, bounced off the fence and landed somewhere we couldn't look at. Oops.

Another unimportant low light was that I kept losing to my grandpa at football on the beach. I mean how embarrassing is that? To get beaten by my brother at something is bad enough but a man who's in his 70s? That's even worse! Then again he did have my brother on his team and I was out numbered by 1 person so, I'm not sure if that counts or not. Oh well, at least I learned something from this: Just because grandparents are older and retired, doesn't mean they can't kick your butt at something. Keep this in mind if you ever challenge a older person to something.

I could write a lot more about how my March Break went but I would probably bore you guys. I should end my post on this note. I had a very awesome March Break and I'm sure this certain one will be a memorable one to me. I hope all you guys had just as much fun this March Break as I did.

Life Lesson: No matter what kind of vacation you go on, it is always nice to make memorable with your friends or family.

Ms. Weldon, I commented on Libby's blog this week.

1 comment:

  1. Emma,
    Your grandpa had alot more time to practice that you, and football isnt realy a girls sport, anyways. It sounds like you had an awesome march break, and birthday. Unfortunatly, I wont be turning 13 untill the 2nd last day of the year.

    You didnt by any chance go and see any marine life, did you?? If you did, PLEASE tell me about it!!!!

    Your blog was very, very, very well done this week, and I look forward to more.

    Sincerly,
    Libby

    ReplyDelete