Friday, January 15, 2010

Totally Emma: C is for Crappie

"A grandpa is someone you never outgrow your need for."

In this blog post I'll be talking about Crappie, my Grandfather.

Crappie is my Mom's dad. He is the only Grandfather I have. At first, I didn't know why I called my grandfather Crappie but when asked my Mom she told me that when I was a little, I couldn't say Grampie. I would try and try but all that I could say was "Crappie!" and that just sort of stuck.


I'm sure you would think: "Aw poor guy. I must feel sorry for a guy who's called Crappie." Well to be truthful, I don't think he minds it one bit. To be honest, my Grammie (she's my Mom's mom) and my Grampie thought it was so cute when I would say Crappie that they never corrected me. My brother now also calls him that. I'll never understand grown-ups. Plus, I think his name makes him special because it is unique. Now I'm going to tell you some things about my Crappie.


Crappie's real name is Peter. He LOVES golf. Seriously I think it's his favourite sport in the entire universe. He still golfs with his buddies and he's 74 years old! He also especially loves it when we go mini-golfing together. It's funny because whenever my brother has taken like 15 strokes to get the ball into the hole and when he FINALLY gets it in, he always says: "Crappie, it's a 2!" Very annoying sometimes. My Crappie also likes playing Wii golf. Ever since we got the Wii 3 years ago, we would have a traditional Wii golf tournament on Christmas. This year, my Dad won.

My Crappie also went to Ridley College you know. So did my uncle, but not my Mom because at the time, it was an all-guys school. One time, last year, when I was on the U14 girls soccer team and we were playing against Ridley at Ridley College. My Grammie and Crappie came to watch me. But poor Crappie. He didn't know who to cheer for: me or Ridley. So guess where he sat? The centre line. Unfortunately for us we lost to Ridley.

For a grandpa, he's pretty cool. He's mature, but he knows when to have fun. I know some kids might think their grandparents are boring, but I love spending time with my Grammie and Crappie and I'm not ashamed to say that.

Life Lesson: Don't assume that just because that grandparents are old, doesn't mean that they aren't fun and exciting. They may even like to try new things with you like Wii Golf!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment