Friday, January 8, 2010

Totally Emma: B is for Bella

If you're wondering who Bella is, Bella is my dog. I remember like it was just yesterday when we got her.



It all started after when my old black lab, Hailey got put down on her 14th birthday, January 29. We were so depressed. I would cry myself to sleep and the house was so gloomy and quiet without her. She has been around even before I was born. She was a Valentines Day gift from my dad to my mom. Well anyways my dad didn't like that we were so sad all the time so he decided that sometime in the spring, we would get a new lab puppy. Well, my mom was reading the newspaper when she found a article about how the Humane Society in Waterloo was running out of puppy food. And me and my mom being the animal lovers in the family, we persuaded my bro Henry and my dad to go buy some food for the Humane Society.



When we got there we of course gave the food to the front desk and started to look at the animals there. I remember seeing this super cute black kitten named Pumpkin. She was very small and should cower in the corner being all timid. Then we saw 3-week old puppies. 2 of them were males and the one was a female. I looked at the first male. He was the smallest of the bunch and looked like a basset hound, though he didn't have the sad look in his eyes like all basset hounds do. His name was Boomer. When he saw me, he wagged his tail and crounched into a playing postion. I then turned around to find my Dad eyeing the other male. He was tall and very muscular for a puppie. He was mostly black but there was some spots that were tan. His name was Binx. He started to bark at my father and jump around. My Dad said that he liked Binx. I couldn't blame him. He was handsome for a puppy and my Dad loved big dogs. He hates little dogs. Then I came across Bella. She was adorable as a puppy having such velvety ears and long nose that seemed a bit big for her head. She was mostly black with some spots tan like Binx, but she had some white on her too. She started to bark a lot and started to jump around as if she was having a sugar rush. We all feel in love with her, even Dad loved her. But were caught in the middle. Who were going to choose? Binx or Bella?


So we decided to get a member of the staff to get them both. We were brought the dogs inside this small where we can interact with them. When the dogs we let loose, Bella went for Dad, climbing all over him while Binx ran to me and started to chew my hair! How weird is that?!
Then they had a little "accident" on the floor. Not cool. Then they started to play with squeaky toys and started to wrestle with each other. Then we had to leave. We had to go home with a choice who to take home. I thought the were both wonderful, but didn't know who to choose. I began to see the advantages of a female dog. One, they are more mature. And two, we know what it's like to have one. I so I knew.... that Bella was the best choice and I hoped Binx will find a new home soon. In the morning we had bought all this stuff for her and picked her up. I know one thing is for sure. Our life wouldn't have been very different if we got Binx instead.


Life Lesson: Save a animal from the Humane Society. It will make you feel good. If already have a pet, get him/her a playmate from a animal shelter.

No comments:

Post a Comment