Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Holocaust Survivor Eva Olsson's Story

One day in the 1940s the Nazis came and told the Jewish people to get packing because they were going to be shipped away to a brick factory to do hard labour. What they didn't know however was that they were actually being sent on a train (crammed into boxcars) to a terrible place called Auschiwitz, one of the worst concertration camps in the world. This where a brave young girl, Eva Olsson and most of her family were sent.


After 4 days without any water or food, the train finally came to it's destination. There they were ordered in a line to determine if they would be sent to the left or the right. If you were sent to to left, it usually meant death. However, if you were sent to the right it meant you would have a better chance of living. This separated many families. Mothers, pregnant females, and children were usually sent to the left to end their lives in the gas chambers. Olsson's mother was one of the "left"people to be sent away. She had to leave without even getting to say goodbye or "I love you" to Eva or her other children one last time. Think of it, small children and females all innocent just sent away to their deaths. What did they ever do to the Nazis?!?!

Eva Olsson came to our school this week to tell of the horrors and tragedys she had to experience during her time at Auschiwitiz. Think of the amazing courage Eva must have had while going through the Holocaust. Hunger, thirst, pain, fear and sickness, all those things she suffered and she was only a young girl! The school was silenced as we heard what Eva had to say. The Nazis bullies have killed about 140 000 000 all because of HATRED and PREJUDICE.

What impacted me the most about Eva's story was how so many people died just because of their different religion. I mean everyone is different so that doesn't give any right to bully because of it. Besides, if everyone was the same, this world would be very boring trust me. For years to come I will remember to have courage minute after minute instead of year after year because if Eva can have that courage, so can I. There is one question however that I wished that Eva would've answered and that is: "What was it like to be away from Auschiwitz after having to be there for so long?" I would've wanted to know what it felt like to be finally free.

This story has made me think of a couple of ways to stop bullying. The first one is not to be a bystander and report bullying if I see it. Another way would be to never tease or bully anyone because they're different. Even if you were just kidding, it could still hurt them. Of all the lessons Eva shared with us, I think that the most important lesson is not to hate and to always tell your family that you love them because you might not have a chance to say that ever again. I think the hardest lesson I intend to follow is never to say hate. What I mean by that is hatred is what killed the all those innocent I don't want to hate someone or something ever in my life. After Eva had finished speaking her story touched my heart and realized that I must follow the lessons she told us from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment